According to the report the new company Menlo Security, the Internet is a very dangerous place: every third Wednesday of the popular websites vulnerable or already hacked and attacked visitors using exploit packs.
For example, in late 2014, the site of the popular edition of Forbes for a few days to infect users using zero-day vulnerability in Adobe Flash. It is this case that Menlo Security Specialist at a global study of the Internet explained. They tested a million sites from the list of the most popular, according to Alexa. Since each site has been downloaded any content that is sent saved on the computer ordinary visitor: frames, embedded content, widgets, etc.
66% of the sites did not have any malicious software, but the remaining 34% are classified as “risky”. In particular, 22% of servers are working on a vulnerable infrastructure, including vulnerable versions of PHP or vulnerable version of Apache Web Server or IIS. Just a couple of percent of Web sites are running on a vulnerable CMS, moreover they are equally divided between WordPress and Drupal.
The graph shows how vulnerable sites are distributed in thematic categories. Easy to see problems for all categories.
In addition to the existing vulnerabilities, 4% of the largest web sites have been cracked and spread malware. Another 3% is used for spamming or botnets work.